Wednesday, June 15, 2011

E. Coli Blood

It wasn't a contaminate.  Monday's cultures came back growing E.coli and another gram negative bacteria.  Hmmm, I wonder how E. coli could have found it's way into Averi's blood.  Oh, maybe it was from when she got C. diff poo all over her central line caps.  I dunno.

I tried giving Averi a half volume tube feed this morning, since she was doing better eating last night, but it just all came back up.  I can't figure out what's causing it.  It's too late to be from the chemo or the 24 hour stomach bug we all had and the C.diff should pretty much be under control.  Who knows?

Surprisingly Averi's ANC is up to 312 and even though she is nowhere near feeling great the doctors said she can go home when her blood cultures start coming back negative (showing that the antibiotics are working).  This is great news since we are coming up on our three and a half week mark and I am pretty much done with all this drama.

No comments: