Monday, October 11, 2010

A Word from ENT

We had another great day today, including three visits from friends.  When Dr. Pillay, Averi's oncologist, stopped by this morning, she said that we may even get to go home early since Averi is doing so well.  I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up.

Chemo officially ended today around 5:00pm.  Looking at Averi you would have no idea that she just had chemo for 4 days straight.  She is just her normal playful self.  One thing that the doctors did mention that we will have to keep an eye on is if Averi starts getting mouth sores (one of the side effects of chemo).  If she does, they may cause swelling which could very quickly close up her airway that is already small and wimpy.

I finally got a chance to talk to someone from ENT, on the phone, about Averi's MRI.  The results showed that she is completely missing the nerve on her right ear, which means that there is nothing that can be done to make her hear on that side.  When he said it was good that we were following with audiology and getting a hearing aid I explained that we had decided not to stress about it right now while she was too young to keep it on her head and wasn't having long distance conversations.

He then explained that it was vitally important that she get one sooner than later and that it would be a big improvement...blah, blah, blah.  Really, you want me to deal with this right now?  I finally agreed to contact audiology and ask for one of their trial hearing aids.  I'm skeptical but we might as well try it since we have nothing else going on in lives.

In funny news, the nutritionist came in to visit us last week and asked me what I thought about Averi's weight. I said, "Um, I think it's fine!"  She informed me that she was only in the 25% and could stand to gain a little weight.  What is it with these people and wanting 50% for everything?  She said she would put in a suggestion to increase Averi's feed by 10%.  Whatever.  Fortunately, I think her suggestion got lost somewhere because no one has said anything to me about it since. :)

8 comments:

Celeste Ferguson said...

Oh, I hear ya on the weight thing. The doctors are always on my case about my girls! I'm glad she is doing well!

My name is Sarah said...

we will keep our fingers crossed for going home soon.

Brandy said...

She was just a doll! Thanks for letting me drop by. Can't wait to see her again and maybe next time I won't feel so uncomfortable around her and all of her cords! It takes a little getting used to for uncoordinated folks like myself, lol. :)

Lauren in GA said...

That is great that she handled the chemo so well.

I agree...it would frustrate me to have doctors pushing weight gain and hearing aids. I'd be frustrated that they tell me they are going to increase her feeds and then the suggestion just get lost. You are doing a great job being so patient.

Tina said...

Yeah for Averi! She's such a great girl, Kaili is teaching her so well.

Stephanie said...

Little Averi is amazing. I'm glad that so far chemo is going okay for her and she's not having side effects. Hearing aid and weight gain on top of this? Try not to stress about it all, you've already got a lot going on. You are amazing...that's where Averi gets it. For sure. :)

Vanessa said...

Go Averi! Go Averi! Go Averi! She's a champ! And so are the rest of ya'll. :)

Jen A. said...

Tiff, I would have never known any of that stuff was going on if I didn't read your blog. You have to have been so frustrated. I hope that our flower making helped.