Saturday, February 26, 2011

It Worked!

All the little tricks we've slowly been figuring out have finally come together to form a solution.  The vomiting has stopped for the moment.  She's on IV fluids so she doesn't dehydrate (again), she's getting scheduled zofran around the clock and an oral dose of phenergan one hour before each meal, and her formula intake has been cut in half.

Honestly, I think it was cutting her feeds in half that finally tipped the scales.  I don't know why it was so hard for the doctors to understand that we didn't need to keep pumping food into her stomach just because she has a G-tube.  I'm so glad it finally worked.

Luckily for Dan, she hasn't puked once since he took over last night.  Maybe he'll be around for something good for a change - I think he deserves it. :)
The only medication that changed today was taking Averi off the mineral oil that was just prescribed yesterday for her constipation (on top of milk of magnesia and colace).  Her doctor today was pretty upset that someone had given her mineral oil while she was puking.  Apparently aspirating on the oil would send her straight to the PICU on a vent.  I think we're okay if she doesn't get it.

The only other exciting thing that happened last night was when I was firmly told that they are strictly enforcing the no air mattress policy.  Don't worry though, they are going to give me an egg carton to put on the couch so it will be as comfortable as possible.  I'm trying to be optimistic and grateful that we at least got 5 months with the air mattress, but I don't think it's working very well.  The good news?  They told me on a Friday so Dan was the first one who had to deal with the crappy couch. :)

2 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

I am so glad it worked!!

Sorry about the air mattress, though. That is so lousy.

Glenn and Melanie said...

Boo for no air mattress - I guess I will have to check out the "sofa" next time I am there. I see that butterfly balloon has a long life!