Tuesday, September 14, 2010

OT: Week 29, Reach For It

I’ve been so caught up in everything else going on right now, that I almost forgot to post about today’s OT session.  I almost didn’t go, just because the next couple of days are going to be really rough (not that Averi knows that), but I decided that going to OT was a better option than sitting at home with my thoughts and waiting for Averi’s transfusion appointment.

Averi is slowly doing better and better with the honey bear.  She has now worked up to taking 3 oz in 15 minutes.

Today we gave her the honey bear and then worked on developing her reaching and pinching skills.  Frances would hold a piece of dried apple off to one side or up above Averi’s head and wait for her to reach and make an effort to get it.

Kaili thought this was really mean and kept trying to help Averi out by pushing the food closer to her.  I had to explain to her several times that we were trying to help Averi learn to reach for things and be motivated, but I don’t think she believed me.

This week we are going to continue working on uping the amount she can take from the bear in 15 minutes, that is, if we aren’t sitting in a hospital room.

No comments: