Monday, March 29, 2010

OT: Week 11, Recovering

Averi is still working on recovering from the croup and hasn’t really had much desire to drink or eat lately. Usually we offer her the bottle and then end up having to spoon feed it to her anyways. I’m hoping that she will get better soon and be able to breathe a little easier.

We decided to try breastfeeding again so Frances could see how Averi was doing. I haven’t really put a whole lot of effort into it because Averi still bites a lot. Every time I tried to get her to latch on, she would just start chewing.

Frances saw my hesitation and told me to just push Averi on as far as I could and she would pull her chin down. Yes Frances, that sounds great. Let’s give her more to bite onto. Why don’t you start lactating and try that trick yourself? Luckily Averi didn’t show much interest after that and we moved on to trying the bottle.

Frances tried giving Averi the bottle for a little while but stopped near the end of it because she was sounding so wet. After pounding on her back for a while, Frances finally realized that I was right when I said that there is no way to make this girl cough. It drives me crazy trying to get coughs out of Averi because I know she would feel much better, but she refuses to cooperate.

Frances said to keep using chin support to make it easier for Averi to swallow. Hopefully she’ll start eating better as her health improves. (I know, I know, we are bad parents, but try to tell me that face isn’t funny.)

No comments: