Today is the last day of Averi's extended antibiotics and they want to take cultures once the antibiotics have worn off just to make sure that everything is alright. Apparently they have to wait 24 hours for them to completely leave her body. Once the cultures are taken we have to wait another 48 hours for the results. All of this has to take place before she can go in for her biopsy.
So the new plan is wait until Wednesday morning to take non-antibiotic cultures and then send Averi home while they wait for the results. Then we can bring her back in next Monday for the biopsy and start chemo on Tuesday. That means she will be home for Thanksgiving...which is what I wanted, right?
My whole family is coming this week, which I'm very excited about, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me a little nervous to have Averi at home with all those people. I am now a hot mess when it comes to germs and I wonder if that will ever wear off. I miss the days of sucking the lint off a pacifier that fell on the ground and putting it back in the baby's mouth.
I am also frustrated with the fact that once upon a time we were hopeful that Averi would be home for Thanksgiving because she would be done with cycle 2. We haven't even started cycle 2. I guess I should be grateful that I'm getting what I wanted (Averi home for a holiday) and not focus on the major delays that stand in our way.
Either way, now that I have once again set up camp in Averi's room, we will be leaving in 2 days for a short break before coming back for a longer stretch.